Thursday, October 23, 2014

Homemade Apple Pie & Pie Aprons

My BFF Melanie does so many things so wonderfully.  In fact, I think she's perfectly wonderful, the truest of all friends!


Our mutual love of pie goes way back.  This was us eating chocolate pie for breakfast in Vegas almost 20 years ago!

Despite her perfection, she struggles with making pie crusts and recently asked me to help her.

I'd never used a mechanical peeler before so this was fun.
 
 
We used Beth Howard's recipe and followed her proven techniques.  Click here for one of my prior posts about Beth (she's the true expert on pie making!).


I think where Melanie had been going wrong may have been that she'd been handling the crust too much, trying to make it perfect.


The quicker you can throw the ingredients in the bowl and fluff them together with your hands, the better.  I've found that my most flaky, buttery crusts have come from handling the pastry for less than 4 minutes ~ that's from the time I toss the ingredients together, roll the crust, and place it in the pie dish.  Fast.  Gotta be really fast!



Walah!  Melanie made a beautiful pie!


The crust was deliciously buttery and very flaky!

 
If you're looking for more pie baking inspiration, check out my Retro Revival pie aprons:
 
 
They're available in my Etsy shop...
 
 
...or message me for details.  I ship for free to my friends and family!

2 comments:

Missy Shay said...

I've made Beth's recipe and love it! Your aprons are super cute!

Michaele said...

Now THAT'S and apple pie! Perfecto!
I don't think I have ever seen that big of piece of chocolate pie either.